Saw some pretty brutal Facebook posts of ripped hands after the 14.2 Open workout, and a couple of good ones in person. 100+ pullups in a short time frame will tear even the most experienced CrossFitter sometimes.
Your hands should NOT rip in class. If they are, you are either not scaling correctly or you don't look after your hands..... or both!
The worst rips are always going to happen at big comps, or things like the Open not in class. At comps there is no choice about scaling, if you are unlucky enough to get a high number of reps or a lot of grip intensive workouts back to back, then unfortunately your only choice is to do it or not. You can tape up, wear gloves, or hand guards, but there is a chance it will inhibit performance, and ultimately, they still wont guarantee you wont rip anyway.... I like to wear hand guards or gloves in training, and then I just cross my fingers in competition usually, sometimes I'll wear tape for minimal protection, but also minimal interference.
So, your main protection really is looking after your hands in the first place.
When you get out of the shower, get stuck in with a callus shaver, sandpaper/emery board, PediEgg, pumice stone or tool of choice. Then a moisturiser, or something beeswax based like the sticks that come in the Ript Kit.
A few other tips for when Toes To Bar come up in this week or next weeks Open workout.
- your hand shouldn't be moving all around the bar. Take a firm grip, place the thumbs on top of the fingers for a pseudo hook grip and move at the wrist and shoulder, not the hand. Load up the abs, lats and hip flexors to do the work, not the forearms.
- If you don't wrap the thumbs, (you should be reasonably experienced if you do this) then be aware of excess hand movement/friction.
- break your sets into smaller groupings to give the skin on your hands a break.
- don't try taping if you've never done it before, because you will either hate it, or it will start peeling off halfway through the workout and then you'll really hate it. Plus it leaves sticky residue on the bar to make someone else's hands rip, not cool.
- consider wearing guards for the first few sets, then discarding them. It feels like a new lease of life for your grip, and you'll minimise the chance of ripping with only a few sets to go.
DON'T FORGET THE 630PM OPEN STRATEGY SESSION TONIGHT. IT'S GOING TO BE EITHER TTB OR MUSCLE UPS THIS WEEK FOR SURE!
Hang Power Snatch + Hang Snatch
Build up to a working weight and then EM for 7mins
Hang Power snatch + OH Squat, or Power Snatch
- tech work 15mins, adding weight when possible.
10 DB Front rack Step ups
100m Farmers Walk