Blog

On the decline….

steve_sumo

On the plane back from Regionals, I watched a little Louis C.K.

During one of his stand up comedy scenes he said, "My days start poorly because of the shape I'm in, because now, also, I'm 42, so I'm getting - I'm really on the decline. There's never going to be another year of my life that was better than the year before."

As a fellow 42 year old, I respectfully disagree.

I discovered CrossFit at around 30, and 2 years later I was fitter than when I was 22.

And now at 42, I'm fitter than I was at 32.

At 52, I fully intend to be fitter than I am now.

It could be that I wont be able to improve specifics elements beyond a certain point - strength, power and speed will be tough.  But I'll continue to work on muscle mass, bodyweight skills,  mobility, mental toughness and other things that I know are still far from tapped out.

Sometimes I think about the power of compound interest and what might have been, if I had socked away $100 a week from the age of 20.  But of course I spent it on travel and experiences.... which I don't actually regret.

But starting to save at ANY age, is better than not saving at all.

Because tomorrow, you'll have more money than today.

Sure, you might not be as wealthy as if you'd started sooner.

Starting to work on your fitness at ANY age, is better than not starting at all.

Deciding to start recording your training results, to track your body comp, your blood work, to visit the dentist more regularly,  learn to meditate, learn a language, take up a new sport, all offer much less return than if you'd started sooner.

But you'll still be better than yesterday.

TRAINING WEEK OF JUNE 6

Tuesday

FITNESS

PERFORMANCE

A.

Sumo Deadlift

Build to a heavy 5, deadstart each rep.

A2.

Goblet Carries

4 x 50m, building

B.

6 Deadlifts

5 Hang Power Cleans

4 Front Rack Rev Lunge, alt.

3 STOH

AMRAP in 5mins

A.

Hang Power Clean + Power Clean + Hang Power Clean

(TnGo)

Build to a heavy set

B.

15 Power Cleans

@ 75% of A.

15 STOH

15 Front Squat

For time

Wednesday

FITNESS

PERFORMANCE

A.

Strict CTB

4 x 5-8 reps

B.

16 DB Rows or Ring Rows

400m Run

E3M x 4

20 Russian Swings 32/24kg

400m Run

E4M x 3

A.

Towel/Rope Pullups

4 x max reps

B.

15 Pullups

400m Run

E3M x 4

20 KB Snatch 24/16kg

400m run

E4M x 3

Thursday

FITNESS

PERFORMANCE

A1.

Dbl KB Front rack Step Ups

5 x 12, alternate legs, building

A2.

Single Leg Romanians

5 x 6-8/leg, building

B.

Goblet Squats

3 x 12, build

Sled Drag, or Prowler/Box Push

3 x 30-50m, build

C.

50/35 cal Row

40 Situps

30 SDHP 32/24kg

20 OH Plate Lunges 20/10kg

10 Burpee Muscle Snatch 20/10kg

AMRAP in 8mins

A1.

Weighted Pistols

5 x 3-5/leg, building

A2.

Single Leg Romanians

5 x 6-8/leg, building

B.

Natural Leg Extensions

3 x 6

Partner GH Raises

3 x 6

Friday

FITNESS

PERFORMANCE

A1.

Strict Press

Build to a heavy 5

A2.

Supinated Bent Row

Build to a heavy 8

A1.

KB Strict Press

Build to a heavy 3-5

A2.

Supinated Bent Row

Build to a heavy 8

B.

In 3 minutes;

100 Double Unders, then max reps Pushpress 40/25kg

REST 2mins

In 3 minutes;

400m Run, then max reps Pushups

REST 2mins

In 3 minutes;

30/20cal Row, then max reps Wallballs 9/6kg

Intensity is relative

Intensity and hard work are a necessary part of any effective training methodology, and none more so than ours.  But without the word 'relative' in front of them, there is a danger of misunderstanding what hard work and intensity look like. By relative, we mean your effort is in relative to your fitness level and…
Continue Reading

Don’t wish for it, want it.

I wish that I could teleport. As someone who loves to travel, the thought of being able to jump to another location or entire country in the blink of an eye is incredible. Luckily I don't waste too much of day wishing this were true, because I know it's impossible. Wishing for silly things doesn't…
Continue Reading

Delayed gratification…

I've talked before about an experiment that took place in the sixties involving willpower, where a scientist used his four year old son and his classmates as subjects. Each subject was seated in a room with a desk and a marshmallow.  The researcher's instructions to the child were "I'm going to leave the room for…
Continue Reading

Birthday time..

Reebok CrossFit 09 started as a casual conversation with a Reebok rep after hitching a ride with him from Gold Coast to Brisbane, over 5 years ago. Once the idea took hold, the search was on for a suitable facility and that took the better part of a year!  Interesting fact:  we actually looked at…
Continue Reading

Got a goal? How are you getting there?

What's your goal? Often a tough question, even if you think you have a fairly decent handle on your training aspirations. If you DO have a goal that is at least halfway thought through, it probably looks like; - I want to lose 10kg - I want to snatch 100kg - I want to compete…
Continue Reading

You too, could be fitter in just one workout…

[caption id="attachment_6939" align="alignnone" width="600"] Nick is strong as an ox, which is why he works hard on his running.[/caption] Yep, that was a deliberate click bait kind of blog title..... But unlike so many of those diet pill and celebrity fitness gurus out there pushing their rubbish, I can actually back up this statement. Big…
Continue Reading

Deeper practice…more results

There is a growing interest these days, in high level performance, and how it is achieved, whether that be in sport, in fitness, in cognitive function or in business. Everyone is looking for the best ways to study, train, invest and think, and of course, the most obvious place people start is with the aforementioned…
Continue Reading

Baseline time!!

Block 2 of training will take us from the Baseline Week April 10, all the way through to PR Week beginning June 26, followed by a Reset Week. We’re going to harness our inner Leopards, and become supple, balanced, well moving athletes. We’ll achieve this by; ● Working on single limb strength (Split Squats, Single…
Continue Reading

Open and out…

And that's the CrossFit Open done for another year........ Now what? Easy week. Just move. Have fun. Are you saying I need to rest? I’m only just hitting my straps here! I'm so fired up from The Open, that I'm raring to get started on a double day, conjugated, periodised, strength bias, gymnastic focused, Olympic…
Continue Reading